2010년 6월 7일 월요일

The Output Hypothesis

During taking this class, I have learned different points of view about how we acquire or learn second language. Before taking this course, I have seldom thought the process of learning of language. So, I have struggled to understand various hypotheses. To me, all of them make sense. Even though I don’t know which one is the best explanation of learning second language, I kind of like Swain’s hypothesis, the output hypothesis.

Before, Swain (1985), output was considered just as a way of practicing what has previously learned. Swain suggested the crucial role for output in development of second language. I am fascinated by her view that she regarded output as a way of creating knowledge. That is, output can play a central role in the language learning process. Based on this hypothesis, I think about automaticity. In terms of output, automatization involves a learned response that has been built up through the consistent and successful mapping of grammar to output results in automatic processing. Therefore, to increase my automaticity, I need to practice more and produce more with using the target language. This hypothesis motivates me to speak in English more often. Even though I am not sure whether I can change my attitude or not, at least, I will try not to be shy to speak up in English.

I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by. I really appreciate our professor, Park. In this class, I have done many things that I’ve never done. At the first time, I had hard time to follow up the course. However, as time passed, I am pretty much used to doing things in the class. I hope that my academic attitudes would develop further through this course.

Thank you for your kind teaching!!

댓글 1개:

  1. Thank you for your insightful posts, Jung Ah. I am also a big fan of Swain's Output Hypothesis. FYI, she has coined a new term "languaging" to describe output as a 'process,' as opposed to 'product.' I kind of like the new term...

    답글삭제